2017 Las Vegas Convention Update
Still on the fence about registering for the 2017 Convention? In addition to the scholar-in-residence workshops, workshops on chaplaincy and pastoral care, preparing for retirement both financially and spiritually, and engaging students with special needs will be offered. The Tefilah and Concert committees are hard at work to create wonderful experiences for our participants and our concert attendees. Josh Nelson will be joining us on Monday evening at our dessert reception to talk a little about Kutz Camp and how ACC and GTM members can support their programming. Both our opening and closing evenings will be like none we've ever done before! Our opening tefilah will give us the opportunity to honor our members celebrating anniversaries and thank our hard working convention committee. After services, we'll have a light-hearted and fun evening in the private bowling alleys of the Red Rock where we'll have some dinner, schmooze and bowl! Wednesday's closing banquet party will be held in the "Crimson" night club complete with DJ and a private pool!
In addition to our group meals, there will be plenty of time to explore Las Vegas and all of the restaurants and attractions like Canter's Deli! (See the play on words!!)
We look forward to seeing you in Las Vegas!
Place an ad in the 2017 journal!
The combined efforts of our membership come together to make our conventions a success every year. In addition to the countless hours volunteered by many of our members, we rely on your financial support. Our ad journal helps us meet our financial goas and it’s a wonderful opportunity to thank your teachers, friends, and colleagues for the impact they have had in your career.
When you place an ad in our journal this year, you are making a choice to support the ongoing health of our conference and the continued success of our annual convention. Donations may be made electronically here.
Please complete the attached form and return with payment to the ACC office by May 1, 2017. In addition to our printed journal, we will be sending an electronic journal to our entire membership.
With sincere thanks and blessings,
Scholars-in-Residence and Workshop Programming
True to the theme of this year's convention, we are excited to promote and elevate our cantorial foundations from the past, present and future. Some of the most beloved teachers from the Hebrew Union College in New York will be joining us to explore the fusion of tradition and innovation within the Cantorial program of today.
Our featured scholars Merri Lovinger Arian, Jack Mendelson, Joyce Rozenzweig, and Beny Meissner will be teaching a broad range of topics on how to bring contemporary melodies into your congregation, the art of improvisation and its place in reform liturgy, and the magic of accompanying from a lead sheet.
In addition, we are highlighting two different workshops for composers. Back by popular demand, the composer's workshop will feature new works by our colleagues within the community. New to the convention is a workshop devoted to diving inside the minds of some of our movement's most prominent composers.
In the months leading up the the convention, our panel of composers will be given a similar piece of liturgy and asked to create a composition. Learn how each of our composers create their compositions from start to finish. Do they begin with a musical theme, textual word painting, or mode? What was easy, did they struggle? After learning about their various creative processes, we will listen to performances of these entirely different compositions based on the theme.
Download an outline of the schedule here! (Workshop details will be filled in over the coming weeks!)
Check out the video of the High Roller--part of our Saturday night event!
Exhibitors are welcome!
For more information on being an exhibitor at this year's Convention, please download the form.
Discounted Airfare on United Airlines
Receive a special discount on United Airlines when you book with the following information:
- US 50 States & Canada Customers: call your professional travel agency, book online via united.com or call United Reservations Meetings Desk at 800-426-1122 and provide the Z Code ZY99 and Agreement Code 926996.
- Passengers outside the US 50 States & Canada: call your professional travel agency, book online via united.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org and provide your preferred itinerary, agreement code and meeting Z code. Please allow 24 hours for email requests to be processed.
Discounts range from 2% to 10% depending upon the type of ticket issued.
Receive a discount on a SuperShuttle ride from McCarren Airport to Red Rock Resort. The cost is approximately $23.
ACC National Discount (American Conference of Cantors)
DISCOUNT CODE: ACCND
LINK : http://www.supershuttle.com/default.aspx?GC=ACCND
To use your code simply enter it in the “DISCOUNT CODE” box on the first page of the website when making your reservations at: http://www.supershuttle.com
DISCOUNT: Your discount gives you 10% off your roundtrip reservation. Discount does not apply to exclusive vans (which are already discounted) or pre-existing reservations.
Contact Ayelet Tours at 1-800-237-1517.
Las Vegas is about so much more than what you traditionally think of when someone mentions the name! Over the summer, the convention co-chairs and programming chairs met at our hotel, Red Rock Resort, and had the opportunity to get a taste of the area and see what we will have at our fingertips when we gather together June 25-29, 2017. Here are a few highlights of what you will experience:
- Breathtaking views and climbs of the Red Rock Canyon.
- Stunning views of the mountains from our hotel, which is bright and airy and has amazing window views.
- Hotel rooms are large and beautiful- best bathrooms ever!
- The hotel lobby has great seating areas where you can gather with friends and colleagues.
- The conference area has wide hallways to accommodate our vendors and lots of "nooks and crannies" where you can have a quiet conversation.
- The hotel itself has dozens of food options, including a food court. There are two Starbucks on property.
- Just a short walk away is the new Downtown Summerlin shopping area with many more restaurant options.
- Our Wednesday night closing banquet will have a poolside reception like nothing else!
- Too hot for you? Jump in the pool and cool off with your friends! On most days, there is free time where you can relax and experience the many pools in the "backyard" of the hotel.
- Bringing the family? Onsite multi-plex movie theater and championship bowling alley! Kid Zone with extended childcare hours right in the hotel