The American Conference of Cantors – Guild of Temple Musicians’ Annual Convention to Take Place in Las Vegas June 25-29
For Immediate Release
Schaumburg, Illinois – May 17, 2017 -- Over 200 cantors, educators, professionals and leaders from the Reform Movement will gather in Las Vegas for five days this summer as part of The American Conference of Cantors (ACC) – Guild of Temple Musicians annual convention.
The ACC-GTM convention takes place at the Red Rock Resort and Spa from Sunday June 25 - Thursday June 29, 2017.
“This is a chance for those of us who serve our own Jewish communities as spiritual leaders to come together to network, pray, learn from each other and to experience the beauty of Las Vegas, which also happens to be one of the fastest growing and vibrant Jewish populations in the United States,” said ACC President Steven Weiss. “Our hope is that when participants leave, we will all feel a sense of professional growth and a greater appreciation for being part of a special and sacred community.
Highlights from the five-day conference include:
• Featured scholars Merri Lovinger Arian, Cantor Jacob Mendelson, Joyce Rosenzweig, and Cantor Benjamin Meissner who will be teaching a broad range of topics on how to bring contemporary melodies into your congregation, the art of improvisation and its place in Reform liturgy, and the magic of accompanying from a lead sheet.
• Workshops for composers.
• A concert of liturgical music composed and performed by participants
• Teachers from the Hebrew Union College Jewish Institute of Religion Debbie Friedman School of Sacred Music
• A panel of the “greatest generation” of cantors upon whose shoulders our modern cantorate is built
• As well as many more workshops, tefilot(including an early morning shacharit hike in the Red Rock Canyon) and a Saturday night extravaganza at the Wheel House and on the High Roller.
For a complete schedule, please visit:
The American Conference of Cantors supports its members in their sacred calling as emissaries for Judaism and for Jewish music. ACC leadership draws upon the energies and aspirations of its individual members, while responding to the expressed needs of the larger membership and the Reform Movement. The Conference inspires its members to embrace a shared dynamic vision of the cantorate. This vision is realized through programs and initiatives that will ensure a strong and successful organization. Each such effort is conceived according to carefully determined goals and criteria. Through our members we provide our communities with a compelling experience of text, music, learning, relationship to one another and connectedness to God. We establish our organization as a self-assured and securely funded entity, acting in full partnership with other representational bodies of the Reform Movement and worldwide Jewry.
Please visit: http://www.ACCantors.org